
That doesn't even sum up what I'm feeling. I'm so distraught and frustrated I want to cry since I don't know what else to do. In 3 days I will have been married a year. I heard that changing your name was a grueling process. So, right after we got married, I ordered a "NAME CHANGE KIT" online. Come to find out, all it does is allows you to download the updated applications and fill them out. So, I thought I was doing good. But, when I started the process I realized it's got to be in a certain order... First get copy of marriage license, then social security card, then wait 24-72 hours then do DMV then Passport...yada yada yada... and requires official documents such as social security card, etc. Well, I don't have my social card, don't ask, it's been a while since I've seen it so I cannot do all this by mail. Not that I'd want to do it by mail because you have to send in your social and birth certificate and hope they mail it back. So I mailed a request to the Orange County Clerk Recorder to get a copy of our license. This was back a month after we got married. Six months after sending in the check, I wondered where it was? I called their office and sat on the phone to find out they never received my request. So I called the bank and sure enough, they never cashed the check, so it must be lost in the mail .. so we put a stop on the check. So, without this, you cannot do anything yet. After a kid and a few months goes by I finally ask my mom to watch the kids so I can knock this out. So, early December I drive to Santa Ana and get the run around, finally have a copy in hand after waiting in line and paying $13.00 for a marriage certificate. I drive straight from there to the Social Security office in Anaheim and wait in line but have a pleasant experience with the lady there and get my social security card taken care of.
I WAS ON TOP OF THE WORLD... I came home high as a kite. Now, next was to wait 24 hours minimum to go to DMV and change my drivers license then from there it's pretty much easy. Just faxing over the copy of marriage to all cards, insurances, banks etc. So, I call the DMV in Fullerton and take the first appointment on January 3rd at 2PM. I took the DMV form that I already had from my name change packet and my marriage license and put it in a safe place. I even mapped out and wrote directions and the address to the DMV. I remember saying out loud and my husband can tell you... " I will put these documents together so that when I go to the DMV I will have the copy of marriage in this folder"
It's January 3rd and the appointment is approaching, I put on my jeans add some heels make sure the hair and makeup are good (Just in case they re take the picture) and go to grab the folder. IT'S NOT THERE, NOPE NOT THERE EITHER, MAYBE ITS.... NOPE NOT THERE EITHER... MAYBE IT'S.............................NOPE....... OKAY, WHO'S MESSING WITH ME? I seriously never found the folder with the marriage certificate (the gold sheet that took almost a year to get) and the dmv info. Longer story short, I decide after me and my husband look everywhere I might as well try and get it done with my new social card. I get to the office, fill out the form, luckily no wait and the guy says " Do you have the documents?" Nice, thanks for rubbing it in! No, it's not his fault, but I want it to be. I'M JUST SO DANG ORGANIZED WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED?. Like I said, I was so disappointed, distraught and had anxiety up the wahoo I wasn't even mad. I said to the man " Seriously, I can't find it, but I have my social updated with me." Nope, you need the official marriage document. I pick up my stuff don't put up a fight and walk away. I didn't even have the energy to be mad. So, I drove home in desperation walked in the door and continued to look.
I still haven't found it. The truth is, I will have to go down to Santa Ana, get another copy, then make another appointment for DMV. It will be our one year anniversary and I still am not done with changing my name. I'm so upset, It's either hiding and got misplaced or me being the clean freak accidentally threw it away. I don't know what to say, but I do wonder why this happened. Is God telling me to slow down? Is God telling me to not be so clean, organized? I'm not sure, but I'm curious to see what happens. Oh, and if you know where it is, don't tell me. Now I'd rather not know. LOL
Long post, but very well needed to get this off my chest. I wish you better luck with your name change if you ever need to do this!


No comments:
Post a Comment