Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Dreaded Christmas... One Day


I shared this story with a friend of mine the other day and thought I'd share it with you too!!!


Christmas as a child was amazing. I had sisters, a mom, dad lots of cousins, aunts and uncles that we shared it with every Christmas Eve. It was a huge ordeal. We exchanged gifts, ate alot of traditional foods (I looked forward to the magic bars, pecan bars and buckeyes) sang christmas songs and hung out. It was always a blast not a dissapointing moment ever. Christmas morning was when I woke up at 4:30 AM shaking as I walked down the hall to make sure that Santa brought me just what I had asked for and to be sure he and the reindeer ate all of the goodies. Santa never disappointed as well.... there was always a thank you note, some left over crumbs and the perfect gift that I had asked for (even if I changed my mind last minute.) PHEWWW.. another good year. I would walk back to bed and lay there shaking out of excitement and anxiety til someone else decided to get up. As we opened gifts I always felt sorry for my parents. What do they get excited about? How could you be so happy about a sweater? or new boxers? or socks? Who would want that for Christmas? I never want to be a parent at Christmas time. They barely get anything to open and sit and watch us open a million presents that they bought and already saw. How sad to not want or get any toys. I DREADED the day Christmas would come and I didn't want toys. I didn't understand. I never would....


Well my friends, the day is here. And I am happy to say that I am so happy to be a parent at Christmas. I understand and can now grasp the feelings of my parents. I don't feel sorry for them anymore. I don't get up at 4:30 shaking, but I did get up last year and look at my beautiful, healthy girl sleeping so soundly. I look forward to watching my children as well as my nieces and nephews open presents and play with one another as me and my sisters/cousins did. I enjoy taking Alexa to see Christmas lights and watch her face light up yet another time when she sees a figurine of Santa or reindeer. I actually came to understand this sooner than I became a parent, it actually happened once I became an aunt. It's indescribable and fullfilling...... Besides watching the kids open gifts, I can't wait to continue to teach my children the true meaning of Christmas and it will only get better as one day I will get to watch my grandchildren do the same.

1 comment:

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Hi Lynnae--I found your blog through Pastor David Trotter...I attend Revolution and I just have to say that this is such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing!